Friday, May 31, 2013

Birthday Contest! Miniature Tim is 2 Years Old!

Has it really been 2 years already?! While my archive may go back to 2010, I didn't really start blogging until May of 2011, with the launch of Miniature Tim.

With my first blog birthday, I cited quite a few articles from a handful of blogs that I read and re-read on opinions on successful blogging. Check out all the links and article here: "Miniature Tim is 1 Year Old!"

In the meantime, read on for what's coming up for the blog, as well as this year's Birthday Contest!

First things first, I'll be reworking both the aesthetics of the blog, as well as adding some functionality. Popular posts, army and project galleries and more will be added to the blog. I haven't done much with the set up of this place since I started it, so it's high time I brought out the tool belt and updated it all, methinks. I'm even thinking of rolling out the Facebook Group for the blog as well. If anyone has anything they'd honestly like to see on the blog, let me know.

This year I'll also be putting more effort into tutorials, step-by-steps, and how-tos, I haven't recorded a video in quite some time, and those are actually fairly enjoyable to do, so look forward to those as well. Should be fairly easy to do considering the projects I have planned for the year.

Lastly, I'll be exploring some other miniature lines than just the tried-and-true Games Workshop line. This may also lead me into trying out a few new games, but look for Malifaux and Infinity figures at the least, with Robotech models coming for Christmas!

I suppose y'all might be interested in the Birthday Contest still? This year, I'm mixing it up a bit. While everyone loves free figs and swag, we're going to be a little more creative this time around.

Many if not the majority of you know that I'm a graphic designer, as well as a fine artist, illustrator and cartoonist. Peppered through this post are a few examples of things I've done.

Well this time around, the winner of my contest will get to choose the gaming subject matter of his or her choice, as well as the style of illustration from graphite and charcoal, pen and ink like I did for the Dornian Heresy from Bolter and Chainsword, or cartooning like I did for my letterhead and caricature for the blog. This could be a portrait of your DIY army commander, an action shot or a header for your own blog! The winner and I will talk through their wants and the project, and the final piece of artwork will be featured on the blog as well.
In order to be eligible for the Birthday Contest, I only ask you to do the following:
1. Be, or become, a follower of this blog. Many times, aside from some cold hard statistics, bloggers only have two ways to know what he or she is doing means something to someone. Becoming a follower of a blog you read is one way of doing that.

2. Post a comment below, and try to include what you may want for the artwork! Comments, of course, being the other way you show a blogger you agree, disagree or just in general read what they have to say, are always appreciated and looked forward too!

I'll pick a winner 1 week from today, so get entered!!

Thanks for coming along for the ride these past two years folks, and for sticking with me for the next two and beyond. As always, you folks and the entire community as a whole is what makes this all worth it.

- Tim

21 comments:

  1. O man, this is way better than regular swag giveaways. 3 years is a long time to keep a blog going and keeping it classy, interesting and useful too means you're doing "something" right. :)

    I'd love to see my Rogue Trader crew from my =I=munda project in the same style as your Dornian Heresy effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be interested in seeing a drawing of one of some disc riders of Tzeentch from the Thousand Sons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome - Happy (Blog)Birthday, Tim! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts over the past couple years and definitely look forward to seeing more over the next couple years and beyond! Keep up the great work, my friend!

    I'm torn as to whether I'd like a cartoony or 'realistic' version of Commander Evin Eldro of the glorious 7th, either one would be awesome! Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing the winner's art - I always enjoy your art!



    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I follow your blog, and your art is super cool!! No requests but keep it coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grats on the milestone! I would definitely be asking for a rendition of the main character of the Malifaux novella I've been posting on the Wyrd forums for quite a while (and also dramatized on The Aethervox podcast, but not recently.) I haven't written chapters lately, but this might get me back in the swing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this idea. Great work and congrats on two years! Having a nicer blog header would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy blog day! I really love your corner of the web and am always happy to see what you are up to. Cudos for expanding your eye for other minis. Also, it sucks. I started to look around because I wanted to see what else was out there other than GW (I was a bit pissed by their current business model) their prices have been a bit shocking lately and their sculpts aren't what they used to be. I figured at the very least i would find some cool minis and save some money while i was at it. Oh I'm a fool. Turns out I'm gonna need a bigger wallet :( I would love to enter the contest. i am still a huge dark angels fan. I would love to see your take on the Lurther vs Johnson battle :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is a great give-away (from a great blog). If I were to win, it would certainly be a header for my blog I'd like, as I have no artistic talents in that vein whatsoever.

    Happy third birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy big two Tim!

    I would love a cartoon of me next to my Custom Tau battle suit as a blog header!

    Keep up the great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best wishes on your second year, still going strong and still with the quality content despite all your other commitments!

    What kind of art? Well a Rune Priest taking apart a 10,000 son - with his MIND!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grats on 2 years.

    A cool art could be a plague bearer from Nurgle Carnival!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday man!

    Eldar for days son. Maybe Eldrad playing a guitar on a wave serpent ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grats on the 2 year mark and the killer blog. First thing that comes to my mind is a header. Not for 40k though but for something different all together. Much like yourself I have been sampling other games and right now I am absolutely in love with Blood Bowl. Would love to see your take on a blood bowl header that incorporates a panda.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the success I raise my glass to you good sir and wish you many more years of great blogging adventure.. AS for a drawing.. I haven't a clue lol. If I happen to when I'll decide then =P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy blog-birthday! I've only been blogging since October, but I'm hoping to keep it up!
    Man, I had no idea you did all that! I wish I could draw like that. I think it would be really cool to see a pen and ink drawing of three venerable dreadnoughts sitting in a throne room of an imperial battleship with a chapter master kneeling before them as he asks for council. I know that is a bit detailed, but It is something that I tried to draw, but my skills were kinda limiting. It is part of the story for my homemade chapter that I'm working on. I'd love to see it done by someone with your skill!
    And I have a quick question. Would you mind if I saved some of these pen and ink drawings of yours to try out some coloring/texturing in photoshop? I can't draw, but I can do photoshop, so It would be cool to have some drawings to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday!!!

    I've been following (or lurking) for a bit now. I'm glad to see that you've been around and plan to be around for awhile.

    Artwise, I'm going to make you flex them muscles... Tau v Necron

    ReplyDelete
  17. First of all congrats on the continued motivation and effort that you're putting in this Blog. I really enjoy your posts!

    Seconds I would certainly love to get me some art :-D
    As I'm pondering a chaos marines slaaneshy project including the upcoming Kakophony models from forge world(seeing the preview during the horus heresy weekender put me over the edge).
    Next to good old lucius I'd like to include a slaanesh themed space marine scorcerer and it would be bliss to have some lovely artwork to accompany this dude.

    So if I'm lucky the lord of excess will rejoice :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, happy birthday! This blog has always been a great read, and I must say I am very much looking forward to seeing showcases for some of your projects!

    The chance of maybe getting a piece of custom artwork out of the deal makes it all the more awesome, of course! So consider me entered into the contest ;) If I actually were to win, I'd probably have to ask of a piece of art depicting the Lord of my World Eaters, one Lord Captain Lorimar:

    http://eternalhunt.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/facing-demons/

    In any case, though, keep posting! It's been lots of fun so far!

    Cheers,

    KS

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really appreciate the support everyone! I've refrained from commenting until now only because my want is to really respond to each comment!!

    It's been a heckova ride, and I can't wait to dig into the next 2 years :) Be on the lookout for the winner to be announced tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete