Friday, February 15, 2013

Flames of War, The M5A1 Stuart, & A Tribute to a Hero

No, I haven't yet dipped my toes in playing Flames of War yet, though I do love their detail at such a small scale. I do, however, have a love of history, both of ancient and more recent times.

I also have a wife who's grandfather didn't just turn 90 last year, but is a veteran of WWII, 2nd Armored Division, Hell on Wheels, 82nd Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, and wounded in the Battle of the Bulge.

This man is a hero of mine, and the M5A1 Stuart was his tank.

Loyd Seabaugh is a big man with a big heart, and he remembers, 70 years later, coming in on the second wave onto Normandy. He remembers sights that he will not talk about, but when you ask him about the war, he remembers what he drove. His service took him to Africa, and then into the European Theater during WWII. He doesn't talk about the war hardly at all, but he currently lives with his fellow veterans, a retired Ford man and one of our great servicemen who fought for a free world.

I'll be honest, there was more time spent in research of this project than there was actually painting the tank itself! I called my father-in-law and each of his siblings, as well as some of the older cousins, to piece together his service history, his Battalion and his Division. Diving into the motor pool of the 82nd Recon, and finding out the history of the light tanks, from the M3, to the M5, to the M24. There is a chance he piloted the M24 Chaffee, but knowing he was in Africa as a tank pilot before entering Europe, I know he sat in the driver's seat of the M5 Stuart.

After the research was done, now I had to find the model!!! Luckily, the fine folks at Battlefront Miniatures and Flames of War took the work out of the search for me. I purchased 2 Stuarts, just in case I screwed one up somehow, and a stowage blister. Putting the tank together was an easy task, and looking at some pictures of the M5 online, a couple pieces of stowage and I felt I had a good representation of the tank, mid-campaign.

Now I had to dive back into research-mode and find out how to paint the tank! You'd think that we all know the olive drab green color, but I didn't know the division-specific markings that all tanks have. Thankfully, a Google search brought up a painting titled "The Reconnaissance Party" by Mark Karvon. This painting happened to feature the M5A1 Stuart, in the service of the 2nd Armored! I had my Division Markings!

The actual painting techniques used on the tank included some selective drybrushing, smoothed out with a wash, blended back up to highlights, and finished with some selective glazing. The freehand was done with a touch of the basecoat color mixed into Menoth White Highlight, thinned out and carefully applied. I then build a custom base for it to sit on, stained a nice piece of wood and fixed it to a framed base. W finished it off with a custom etched plaque, reading:

Loyd Seabaugh, M5A1 Stuart

2nd Armored Division, Hell on Wheels.

I know I didn't spend much time actually describing how I painted it, the process or exact methods to build the base but there is one last thing I will share with you all. When my wife's grandfather opened his gift, this 90 year old veteran looked up at me with tears in his eyes and said "That's my tank...That's my tank. Thank you."

You know what? One of my heroes told me 'thank you'. I don't care how I did it.

Would you?

- Tim

 

16 comments:

  1. Hats off. You made a veteran cry tears of joy. That is a rare thing. I'm sure you'll disagree, but that - to me anyway - is a little heroic in itself. Nice job on such a tiny tank too, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a more intimidating project than I've ever done, but it was all worth it with his reaction, let me tell you!

      Delete
  2. Mate, that was a heartwarming story to say the least.

    A very nice looking tribute to a deserving vet. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I didn't go into how it was passed around at the dinner so everyone could see it, while I was off in a corner biting my nails and waiting for it to drop, though, figured I'd leave that part out ;)

      Delete
  3. Very nice, Timmy (both the event and the tank itself).

    I did the same thing for my dad a few years ago... he keeps his AH-1S Cobra helicopter on his desk at work and revels in telling his coworkers that I assembled it and painted it for him.

    Now I just need to do the same for my brother... C-130 is a little big though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not if you can find one in 1:144 scale!

      http://www.revell.com/germany/aircraft/80-4044.html

      That one will fit in your pocket ;)

      Delete
    2. Ahahaha... Thanks for the compliment Kev, and Zab, thanks for helping out a personal friend of mine there :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. thank you sir! :) it was most definitely a fulfilling piece to work on :)

      Delete
  5. Very nice. What a touching way to use your skills. Fantastic work.

    Did you enjoy painting in this scale? I have found it quite refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, I did like that scale, actually. It was almost freeing that I wasn't drowning in bits of detail, though at the same time there was plenty of detail!

      Delete
  6. Great work Tim! It's great when you can put your skills towards a good cause!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    I am doing research for the Museum of the American GI, which will display a restored M5A1 Stuart. If possible, I would love to incorporate some of your father-in-law's experiences and stories into the display or website information. If he has a good quote specifically about the vehicle, that would be even better. Please let me know if you'd be interested in sharing his story. You can check us out at http://americangimuseum.org/
    Thank you!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emily!

      Please shoot me an email directly: miniaturetim (at) gmail.com

      I'd love to talk this over with you!

      Tim

      Delete
  8. Will do when I'm back at work Tuesday! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete