Tuesday, July 26, 2011

WiP Conversion: Xenos Inquisitor UPDATE 2

Let me tell you, when people like Chris Borer and Mathieu Fontaine tell you that they can spend 40 hours on average per competition miniature, they weren't kidding!

Currently I'm about 10 - 10.5 hours into the painting of the Ordos Xenos Inquisitor for my Golden Demon entry. If you include the time spent converting and sculpting, as well as the time spent on the base during my vacation, I've got over 20 hours worth of work in him.

Let's see where that's gotten me.

Painting Day 1 - 6 hours

After priming the figure on Saturday, I began painting on Sunday. My main goal was to develop a paint scheme, and get the bulk of the greatcoat done. The coat is a blue-black, with no real black used in it, trimmed in red with "gold" accents. I'm using a variety of paints here from both the P3 and the GW paint lines.

I was happy when I hit the sack finally as not only had I gotten the main cloth parts of the coat finished, but I got everything but the final highlight on the red done, as well as I blocked out and started adding depth to some of the "golds".

Painting Day 2 - 4.5 hours

Why is it that the smaller the piece on a miniature, the longer it takes to actually paint it??? Monday was a lesson in patience, forcing myself to take my time with each piece.

I ended up finishing the hilt and scabbard, as well as put the final blends and highlights on the chest piece golds, the golds on the Eldar trinkets (still need to do the jewel too), the pistol and scabbard, the belt and cord that the Eldar trophies hang from, and block out the leather for the gloves and boots. I also finished the blending and highlights on the shoulder pad, skull on top of it, and freehanded a small Inquisitorial "I" on the forehead of the skull.

I wish I could have gotten more done, but my pesky family wanted to take me out to dinner for my birthday, so I got started late. Silly, caring family, don't they know I have little army men to paint?! I finally had to force myself to go to bed at 2:30 in the morning so I could at least get 4 hours sleep for the night.

Painting Day 3 - ??

That's tonight when I get home after a little stress reliever with some friends. My goal tonight is to finish the main figure completely, leaving only the fur cloak and base for tomorrow. Thank God a friend of mine was able to pick me up a pot of GW's Blazing Orange so I can do the final highlights on the reds. It should be about 2-3 hours of work, hopefully.

I'm getting better at photographing the figure as well... you can tell I adjusted my white balance for the Day 2 shots. I'll get it right :)

- Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment